Newcomb is the “Student Centre” of UVA. The offices of the Student Council and the University Programs Council call Newcomb home. Newcomb is also the site of all Campus Press organizations, such as the Cavalier Daily and the “Independent” newspaper. If you're interested in joining an UVA student club, visit Newcomb and they will facilitate joining any one of these organizations.
Newcomb opened its doors in 1958. It is named for the University's second president, John Lloyd Newcomb. He was always actively interested in students and their affairs, and this propelled him from his initial position at the university as a graduate student in Engineering to UVA President in fairly short order.
Prior to Newcomb all of the student run activities took place off campus – Newcomb’s opening was a sign that the University wanted to take an active interest in these pursuits and weave them into the fabric of academic life.
Major renovations and enhancements took place in 1997 in order to expand and modernize Newcomb Hall. They seem to be always taking place in order to ensure that Newcomb is up to the latest standards for its students – which are its entire reason for being.
While there are committees looking into further updates on Newcomb Hall, nothing has been announced formally as of February 2008.
- (434) 924-7660
- P.O. Box 400701, Charlottesville VA 22904
- Art Gallery
- See calendar at http://www.student.virginia.edu/~programs for exhibits and hours of the Newcomb Gallery. Hours change with exhibits.
- Computer Access
- Wireless Access through Cavalier Link – call 434-924-3731 to get set up.
- Copier First Floor, Across from Information Center – also SAC Centre
- Dining, Second Floor
- Northern Lights is a buffet style restaurant. Open Monday-Thursday for lunch.
Southside Cafe offers various food court choices, including a Belgian waffle bar.
Pan Geos: The Granary, in the Black and White Room (large dining area for students), offers vegetarian fare.
- Game Room
- o Billiards, Ping Pong, Foosball
o Watch your favorite shows or sporting events on TV
o Games are $3/hour or 5 cents a minute regularly and Thursdays are $1.20/hour or 2 cents a minute.
o Cavalier Advantage is accepted
o Student clubs can rent the Game Room for their social events
- Kaleidoscope: Center for Cultura
- o Promotes Multiculturalism on UVA campus
o http://www.virginia.edu/newcomb/kaleidoscope/resources.html for more information
- Meeting Spaces
- o The Board Room, Conference Rooms 187, 389, and 481 offer a regular meeting area with chairs around a table.
o The Commonwealth Room, South Meeting Room, and Room 168 offer different setups for meetings.
o Theater and the Ballroom can accommodate larger events.
o Contact Event Planning in Rm. 436 to book. You can call them at 434-924-2302 or e-mail them at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Student Activities Center
- o A place for students to study, learn, and hold small meetings
o Focused towards helping student groups lead and manage groups more effectively
- Study Rooms
- [Main Lounge, Third Floor, SAC Centre, First Floor]
- The Pav, First Floor (Pavilion X
- -Beloved food court of students that offers various fare.
-Offers coffee house entertainment occasionally
- Theater, Basement Level
- Offers Movies, Speakers, Many different presentations throughout school year